Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ok I admit I blog fail...

I know, I know, I promised pictures AGES ago....
After only nearly FOUR MONTHS I'm going to FINALLY post some London Marathon pics! (Shocking to believe but I really am going to post a 'proper' blog post!)


I look slightly odd in this picture... my mother wanted a picture of me at the starting point and I felt a bit uncomfortable as compared with some of the others I DID NOT look like a runner :P


The Big Queue to the start line (I am in that picture)...
About two minutes before this was taken I needed to use a toilet, portaloos are NOT you friends (anyone who knows my bathroom obsession knows I do like a clean nice toilet!). Given the time crisis, I've never spent a penny so fast in all my life... almost record worthy....

Then I was told that there was ONE truck left to put my kit bag onto, so with about 15 seconds to spare I managed to get my jacket, trackie bottoms(I ripped the bottom of one leg but time was limited to care!) and other miscellaneous bits off me into my bag which was unceremoniously thrown onto the truck and made it into the line with about 5 seconds to spare... Phew! Stressed before I even started! Typical! (Unfortunately, and rather idiotic of me I left ALL my plasters in my kit bag... I did tape up my feet but I did want to carry some back up supplies with me just in case... oops!)

Strangely, there was loads of people throwing clothes off and into the road just before and just after the start line, I presume they forgot to put them in their kit bag? I wonder if the organisers donated them to charity or if they ended up in the bin....


The last stretch... by this point I could no longer feel my knees let alone my feet!


I'm smiling because I saw my mum in the crowd... luckily she was wearing a bright yellow mac... thinking back on it I think she did that on purpose... :P


Three steps away from the finish!


The woman I crossed the line with really helped me...
I wouldn't have been able to do the last 6 miles without her, she helped me find the last bit of energy to go for it... and yet I can't even remember her name... but whoever you are thank you, you are a star.


Collecting my medal... by this point I was rather emotional... my eyes were definitely watering! I think I was in a bit of shock, not only that I had finished but that I didn't have to run anymore!


My shiny!


The back of my shiny! Funnily I didn't realise that 2008 was the centenary for the London Marathon (In its current form). Made it all the more special in a way...


A marathon isn't complete without injuries!
I really can't figure out how on earth this blood blister didn't burst during the race. I was also surprised that given how pathetic my feet usually are to all forms of shoes that I managed to get away with only a few blisters (Although I did lose a nail on one of my toes, a rather gross event that I'd rather not repeat).

My knee played up after about 18 miles into the marathon (If you look at my times I did a kick arse first quarter) so I spent quite a bit of my journey fiddling about with my knee support, although to give it credit I know I would have never managed it without the annoying thing!
St. Johns ambulance told me twice to stop running, once with my knee and the second time was due to both my knee and the fact that my hands swelled up to twice their size (I was told I had had too much water).

An amazing feeling of hunger overcame me once I received my finishing bag (Which contained fruit... within about 5 seconds I had demolished an apple, before I'd even met up with my mum I might add)
I've never experienced anything quite like it, it wasn't hunger in the general "I'm hungry" it was a genuine NEED. After consuming a granola bar (I don't like currents and raisins but I didn't care) we made it back to the car and headed back to Wales...
I had planned on going back to uni but I returned home for a day as the St. John people had advised that I be watched to make sure I was alright due to swollen hands...

Next morning checked my iPod (equipped with Nike+ naturally) and saw that I had burned 3897 calories during the race... oO
No wonder I was hungry...

I felt genuinely sorry for those that had to drop out. I saw a fair few during my travels around the course. One in particular will forever remain, a woman skidded on the wet road and unfortunately clipped her jaw against the tarmac, her mouth erupted in blood as she struggled to stand. A very nice LARGE Londoner man scooped her up and carried her into the pub that was a few feet away. A few paces later and St. Johns personnel was running past to her aid. A nasty way to end her race. Especially as we were only 15-16 miles in...

I have applied to the 2009 marathon, but if I do get a place from the ballot, its on the condition that I sort out whatever is wrong with my knee, I refuse to do it again in that pain again!!
Fingers crossed though, the pain is worth going across that finish line. The whole experience was breathtaking. An experience I recommend everyone to try at least once... trust me.


Phew... belated description but thats in typical me style! I get there eventually!...

Until next time
ttfn

Nic

No comments: