Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Serious Rant: Smoking Ban in the UK

The reasons that prompted me to blog about the current smoking ban in Wales (For those that don't know I live in Wales...) that was introduced on the 2nd April 2007 was due to a debate that began on the unofficial Lampeter Students forum Lampyland.

While I understand the fact that the ban is a pain for smokers as it prevents them from smoking in public areas; ie pubs, clubs, restaurants and the like. I can't understand the extreme outcry that seems to have been produced by it....

Its been proven that second hand smoke can cause lung problems, the extreme of which is lung cancer, and that the toxic fumes within a building is significantly more concentrated than outdoors (obviously). While I understand nipping out in the rain to feed the need for a nicotine hit is undoubtedly uncomfortable, I don't see how that is really a problem, its a few minutes out of your life and hey presto you've had your hit and you're ready to join the rabble again.

The ban was needed because SOMETHING had to be done. It was and is a public health issue. Which leads to the issue of the non-smoker. On the afore mentioned forum one member stated that:
The only non-smokers to get lung cancer from tobacco smoke are those who work consistently in smoky atmospheres. Barmen, full-time waiters and waitresses and (until they banned it on aircraft) air hostesses. The people are taking a risk, a standard occupation hazard which they are well aware of.

It would make just as much sense to ban slippery floors, hard edges, germs and sharp things.

The human individual should probably be given rather more credit.


I think this is rather narrow minded, for the ban is not only applicable to pubs, but is in fact applicable to all public arenas. A child is just as probable to frequent a restaurants for example. Are they not at risk too?

Cancer Research:
Children are particularly at risk because they breathe faster than adults and have underdeveloped immune systems. A study by the Royal College of Physicians showed that about 17,000 children in the UK are admitted to hospital every year because of illnesses caused by second-hand smoke 41.

A large study of over 300,000 people found that children who were frequently exposed to cigarette smoke at home had a higher risks of lung cancer as adults 42. Another study found that children in households where both parents smoke have a 72% higher risk of respiratory diseases. And the EPIC study found that exposing children to second-hand smoke increases the risk of bladder cancer later on in life by a third.43


So one could argue that they are in fact more susceptible to lung problems as a direct consequence to breathing in tobacco smoke. I think its a bit far reaching that young children do not attend public places like restaurants. I was a frequenter of restaurants from a very young age, my parents made a point of including me into their world instead of foisting me off with some babysitter eating some crappy turkey burger shapes, chips, beans and the such. (Which beyond school dinner food I've NEVER had, my parents made a point of me eating what they ate, albeit Caesar salad to bloody calves liver) What better way to promote good eating etiquette than to be brought up visiting restaurants where bad behaviour is simply not tolerated?... But that's another rant...

The argument that its the non-smokers fault for not leaving a smoking room seems a bit to wet for me. Non-smokers do not actively change their environment, smokers do, and their smoke can remain within an enclosed atmosphere long after they and their smoking habits have gone. Saying that I respect a person who does have a habit, its their choice... but it's not a non-smokers choice to breathe in their waste products.
So again links back to my original puzzlement, what is wrong with popping outside?!

So what am I saying? Are we becoming victims to a nanny state? Or is the ban an attempt to address and curb growing numbers of health problems, all of which are smoking related yet some of which are been developed by non-smokers?

While I think a ban on freedom is not something anyone should condone, in this case, I think its the only way to ensure the health of those around you, of non-smokers, of your

friends

family

children.


After that ramble... I think I'll leave you be...
So until next time
ttfn

Nic

1 comment:

BecsLifeOnline said...

Preach it Sista! :-) Great post Nic x