Sunday, March 4, 2007

Lunar Eclipse - March 2007

Well it has to be said the lunar eclipse tonight was fantastic.
The sky was perfect, and the star of the show played its part perfectly but unfortunately my camera wasn't up to the challenge...

I managed to capture a few blurry mobile phone camera pictures but they're not really at all impressive nor capture how amazing it was.


Before hitting the umbra


The vanishing act...

Nearly...

Almost...

Gone!

You can just about make it out from this shoddy image!

All in all a good night. Reminded me of my GCSE Astronomy lessons I had... 5 nearly 6 years ago (Really doesn't seem that long ago!) since the last eclipse was a failure due to heavy cloud cover *sniff*
The brilliance of the event tonight motivated me to talk to a few of my friends who also seem to be interested.

So maybe, just maybe we shall be founding a new society at the university... Astronomy Soc! Now whether this will come to pass depends on how much apathy is floating about before the next AGM meating, but it would be nice if something could be done. Fingers crossed I can dig out my old telescope and teach the little first year undergrads a bit about the stars! Hehe

A redhead who likes astronomy and general art geekery? Gosh! I'm such a geek!

So until next time
Ttfn

Nic
X

1 comment:

BecsLifeOnline said...

It really was an amazing show. How perfect was the sky?! :-) And don't worry about your photos... mine are sure to be worse, I'm about to upload them now.