Sunday, July 1, 2007

I don't think I'm paid enough....



As a part-time job, my current employment is not too bad, I work evenings which is a bit annoying but not taxing. I am a supervisor so I get to lock up and so forth and get 30p more than minimum wage for the privilege....

However there are some evenings where I wonder if I'm paid enough.... Tonight is one such evening. Saturday night, late night convenience store... nice mix.

To be fair it was fairly quiet... then we had this gentleman come in with what seemed like a cut thumb. He asked for some plasters (Band aid for you americans) after he lifted the tissue he was using to stop the blood me and my colleague quickly realised that it was a bit more serious than a plaster worthy cut.... there was quite a bit of blood and once wiped the extent of the damage could be seen. He'd cut his thumb down to the bone! It was a slow filling crater in his thumb in between the two knuckles and the bone itself was a stark white.

Whether it was the removal of the tissue and him moving more animatedly or possibly the increase of temperature from outside to inside (Probably a combination of all three) but whatever had clotted decided not to hold and he started to bleed a bit more freely but was still adamant that it was "Just a scratch, I just need a plaster and I'll be fine once I'm home"

It was obvious that he wasn't and that his hand needed stitches... my offer to call an ambulance was flatly refused and he threatened to leave if I did... So I went to get our first aid kit. Unfortunately it consisted of a foam pad, a plaster and two eye patches.... nothing particularly stood out as useful for this particular situation...

In the end I offered to run to the university porters (Who while I presumed had a first aid kit, would also be able to call an ambulance without raising suspicion) and he allowed me to do that.
Luckily there was a policewoman on her rounds visiting the porters at the time and offered to speak to him. We both went back to the store and she managed to get him out of the store and rest just outside and then finally managed to persuade him to get a paramedic out.

Meanwhile us store staff, had to disinfect all the blood from the counters and front door.... joy.

I'm very glad he's ok, and I'm especially glad he finally got some medical attention, but really, is it worth minimum wage to have to deal with that? I know I would have unquestionably done something regardless of whether I was working or not, but while I'm working, could people please not bleed in the store? :/


So until next time
ttfn

Nic
x

1 comment:

BecsLifeOnline said...

Aww bum... I leave and THEN it get's exciting! Grrr.